If You Build It, They Will Come.

Tuesday, October 09, 2001

This is all going up apparently at once, seeing that publishing is temporarily unavailable. I continue to write, but it never sees the light of day. I'm thinking of calling Hungry Howies, or maybe just cooking some soup or something. Jay is coming over tonight, (the crack whore...not really) I was going to do something with Cap (the gay pimp...not really) but I forgot its philosiphy night.

God this is all arbitrary, isn't it? I've read other peoples blog's (no one I know) and just found some of the most boring 6th grade crap imaginable. I hope I'm not turning into that.

The other day becky told me that she wanted 2 go 2 the dance with kyle and i sad tat would be bad cuz i know that amy likes kyle as more than friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i know i wasnt sposed 2 tell no 1 but i did cuz i dint wanna have em get in a fight cuz i seen 2 many fights an i dont wanna c another 1. + amys bro is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOT an i wanna be his gf. but he has a gf an shes in 7th grade so shes older an she knoes more stuff. but i dont care cuz i luv him and we gonna get married an kiss an have like a 1000000 babies. not! lol :)

What in the bloody blue hell was THAT all about?! Damn, I need to say something deep.... let's see....

Jay and I have had recent talks about the nature of morality. Now what we'd like to know, and what we've been arguing, is the difference between absolutism and relativism. Absolutists believe that there is one set of moral beliefs that are the RIGHT moral beliefs and that everyone, regardless of culture and environment, should abide by them. Relativists believe that there is a different morality for different cultures and that people should not intrude on each others beliefs to try to mold them to their own. We argued this for many hours, and we came up with really nothing. But now as I sit here, I realize that the answer lies somewhere in between. You see, the argument for morality goes beyond and beneath culture. The argument basically comes down to, "Can people be trusted, or do we need to tell them what to believe?" You see this argument everyday in America. Whether it's the abortion debate, or people arguing for and against homosexuality. It may be the old man who comes into the store and tells me I'm a degenerate because I'm wearing an ear ring. These "absolutists" do not follow the rule of "To each his own" and believe that THEIR rules must be followed and that THEY are the olny ones who are truly right. To go back to the morality issue, absolutism MUST mean that their rules are the only correct rules, because they wouldn't intentionally act in an immoral way. So these are the same jerks who think that after walking only a quarter mile in their own shoes, they know how to walk a mile in everyone elses.

Now of course there is some grey area. This is why I said the answer is in between. I don't think murder could ever be classified as moral. I do however think consensual murder (or "assisted suicide") is alright. I mean who am I to tell you you have to live another week of hellish pain so that you can die of cancer NEXT tuesday. It's your life... I wasn't there to tell you that you shouldn't have dropped out of school, I wasn't there to tell you that you shouldn't have gambled you money away, I wasn't there to tell you that you shouldn't have eaten the paste in kindergarten. I don't have any stock in your life whatsoever. Why do I need to be in your life now? At the end?

Abortion is fuzzy. I'm pro-choice. But there's a line. If you want an abortion, fine, but do it early. After a deadline, it's too late. I think thats the way it is now. See, I know a fetus or zygote is a living thing. But so is your arm. Both are alike in that they cannot live without the mother. If you chop off your hand with a meat slicer, you are not accused of murder. You are not a killer. The baby is as much a part of the mother as the arm until it can live on its own. (For some people I know, that doesn't come at birth, rather 20 years later.) Those are just my beliefs on the matter. No severed baby head picture is going to make me think otherwise. (See 3P1CW) However, you believe what you want to. Your beliefs are as valid as mine, and that is my whole point. If human sacrifice is cool in your religion, then someone elses religion should not get in the way of that. As long as its consensual. Hitler killing the Jews? No, that was not moral. In the case of interference, it was not moral for us to sit by and let it happen either. Watching innocent people die while you have the power to stop it doesn't fit in our belief structure, so us getting involved in an indirect way was an attack on someone elses beliefs, but primarily a defense of our own.

Like, ok, like sooooooooooooooo much deeper. TTYL!!!!!!! BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home