If You Build It, They Will Come.

Sunday, July 15, 2001

It's 8:30pm on a sunday. It doesn't get much worse than this. In beds in little rooms in buildings in the middle of these lives which are completely meaningless. Help me stay awake, I'm falling....

I can't finish registering for my classes until the 24th of July. They have to hold the classes I need to fill my general requirements for the incoming freshmen. Punks.

I'm killing time now. I should be doing something. Laundry, dishes. Something. I go back to my normal work schedule tomorrow. 5am is too early for me. So maybe I'll go see a movie or something tonight.

God, I can't wait for this summer to be over. I can't wait to start school again. To get all my friends back here, to move into my new apartment, to get back into a normal routine, to have some money, to turn 21.

There's a topic. My twenty-first birthday. I'm a bit apprehensive. I mean, once you're 21 what more do you have to look forward to? At the same time, there's really not much more that I can't do when I turn 21. My poor mother though. I think she thinks I won't drink. I think she thinks I don't now. Maybe she just hopes. Hopes that I'm still her little boy or something.

Mom, if you're reading this, I will drink when I turn 21. I do drink now. I live alone, all my friends are 21, and I am in college; it's pretty much a given. I swear too. I never have (I don't think) in front of you, but I do. I'm not 10 anymore. But so you don't worry, I am not bad. I've never lost control, I've never forgotten anything, I've never woken up somewhere not knowing where I was. I've only been sick twice, and that's because I broke the rules. Rule #1: Beer before Liqour: Never been Sicker. Rule #2 NEVER mix beer and wine. I'm always the first to cut myself off, and it's usually very early. I never drive when I am buzzing, and if I do drive after drinking, it's always at least an hour and a half after the buzz is gone, and is always a short distance, or I don't go. I am responsible, and if I plan to pass a buzz to the drunk stage, I make sure I have a place to sleep. So don't worry about me. When it comes to things like that, you know I'm good.

You also know how hard it would be for me to say this stuff to you in person. You saw me freeze at the Riverhouse, you had to know what the answer was. Right? I've been to Windsor too. With Tera and Erin, remember?

All I'm saying is that I am one of the family. I don't sit at the little kid's table anymore. One of these days I'm going to be drinking at the table with dad and grandpa and Tammy, Edward, and Ed. It's not too far away. But I'll be good, and responsible.

Then again. I doubt my mom ever reads this. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home