If You Build It, They Will Come.

Friday, May 25, 2001

The following is an old story I wrote in April of 1999 for a webpage my friend and I were making. I might copy a few of these over to this page, because I liked them so much. I kept most of them I think. I'll have to go back and look. Anyway here you go.

The Story of Lambert

When I was a kid, I had this stuffed animal. It was a
lamb I saw at an arts and crafts store that I just HAD
to have. My parents bought it for me for my birthday.
I was SO happy. I named him Lambert. It was made
out of what looked like old fabric scraps from shirts
and stuff that were left over. His inner "skeletal"
system was composed of hard wood. It was the ugliest
stuffed animal I think I've ever seen, but for some
reason it was all that I wanted. It baffled my
parents, and it baffled me for quite some time. But
now I've figured it out.

Lambert was evil.

The first time I walked into the arts and crafts store
I got this chill. Like something was askew or out of
place. Then I looked up and I saw on this shelf way
above my little head this lamb that stared right back
at me as I stared at it. It scared me but I was
somehow drawn to it. And for some reason I couldn't
live without it. No doubt this was Lambert sending me
telekinetic messages, telling me to cry if I couldn't
bring him home. I remember getting home, thinking
that I was glad my parents didn't get Lambert. I
remember wondering why I wanted that piece of junk so
badly. I was horrified by it, and for the next week I
had trouble sleeping because of it. I kept seeing
Lambert in my dreams, telling me to come back to the
store, to break in if I had to, and retrieve him. Of
course this woke me up screaming, to which my parents
would yell from their bedroom upstairs "SHUT UP!" So
I would. And as time went by the dreams grew weaker
and weaker until they were gone.

Then my birthday came. And there was a lamb shaped
present.

I opened this one last. (I had a few He-Man guys to
get through first, all of which I opened slowly to
further postpone the unveiling of the last gift.)
Finally I got to the lamb shaped gift. My parents
pushed me "Aren't you going to open this one too?" I
don't know what I feared more. The fact that I was
about to open a gift containing the evil Lambert, or
the notion that Lambert had gotten to my mom and dad
too, forcing them to buy him. I stalled, asking if I
could eat my cake or go and play with my new He-Man
guys, but they insisted I open the last gift. So,
almost in tears, I tore away the paper over his face.
There were those eyes. They looked right into my eyes
and suddenly I wasn't afraid. I was excited. I tore
away the rest of the paper with this small voice in
the back of my head screaming to me to be careful.
The voice was getting more and more distant...

The next few days I was having fun with Lambert. We'd
play outside, and I'd put him on the back of my power
wheel and drove around the cul-de-sac. But I noticed
some changes in me. I think I was becoming evil. My
parents noticed I was developing an english accent,
and one day I woke up with a goatee. I was beating my
friends up and taking their allowance money. My
grades were dropping, my parents grounded me over and
over, I broke my power wheel on purpose. And suddenly
it hit me when I pulled the arm off of my Battle
Damage He-Man action figure with sword swinging
action.

Lambert must be stopped.

I remember that night. I remember sneaking into my
room. I remember how afraid I was. How I felt sick
to my stomach with the idea of what I was about to do.
Because even though I understood that Lambert was
behind all of this, and though I hated him so, I still
couldn't bring myself to kill him. It wasn't until I
saw him again, with those black lamb eyes staring at
my little brother that I knew Lambert must be
destroyed. My reaction was almost instant. I dove on
top of the unsuspecting Lambert. I heard a quick
snap, and as his wooden leg collapsed beneath him, I
felt that the curse was over. All of my goatee fell
off, and my accent was gone.

Lambert was dead.

In the days that followed my grades returned to
normal, I apologized to all the kids and paid them
back their allowances. I duct taped my power wheel
back together, and eventually, we got rid of Lambert.
All was normal again. But I never went back to that
arts and crafts store again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home