If You Build It, They Will Come.

Friday, August 27, 2004

"I'm the crazy big bearded hobbit."

(I said that last night. I was told I looked like a hobbit with my curly hair.)

Johanna, I'm definately up for that Movies Askew thing, but it doesn't say how to enter. Also there's a Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash opening near here. I have to find out where. That'd be a cool job, eh? Then technically I'd have worked for Kevin Smith.

I'm also entering Twelve Page Paper in some Film Festivals around the country. I found a really easy and comprehensive way to go about finding and entering it. This website called Without A Box.

I suddenly feel like the Bee Girl in that Blind Melon video for No Rain. You know where she is dressed like the bee and runs around tap dancing for everyone and no one cares and then finally she finds the field of bee girls and they all accept her and she is happy. EVERYTHING in this town is about the entertainment industry. Tons of people are a director or an animator or an actor. Everywhere I turn there's someone who can help me do this, or has advice about that. I pass people on the streets talking about how their auditions went. This is so cool. You could look at it as competition, or you could look at it as a community of people who are all knowledgeable about what it is you're trying to do. It doesn't feel competitive at all, because I'm not producing anything yet. Everyone seems really helpful. John, Curtis's friend, told me all about places to get actors (free actors), how to advertise, and about this Without A Box site. Everyone I know knows someone here and is telling me to call them so I can know someone in the business. I can get my education and then leave L.A. and make films in a calmer environment, or I can stay... and then it WILL get competitive. Either way, I think I'll do alright. It just amazing to be surrounded by people who are passionate about what you're passionate about. Must be what college is like if you know what you want to do.

I saw the Hollywood sign for the first time last night. I was pretty far away still, but it was visable. Very very cool.

This isn't as intimidating as I thought it would be. At least not yet. I really think I can handle this. Lets hope in like three months I don't come back here wondering what I was thinking. :)

Maybe this is just my niche. Maybe I finally found it. Maybe I should just shut up and not jinx it all, eh?

4 Comments:

  • I'm happy for you brother. Just don't you ever put your thumb and pinky fingers up to you face and mouth the words "call me" or I'll put you on the frickin' ground. Got it....no, really, don't test me.

    By Blogger rob, at Fri Aug 27, 10:27:00 AM EDT  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger rob, at Fri Aug 27, 10:28:00 AM EDT  

  • Brother, talk about it, live it, and for God's sake, Don't stop talking about it. Yeah, I repeted myself, didn't I? Eh, I don't care. All I know is that in a year, I expect to get a call from you telling me how you need someone to fill whatever roll or spot or position in the making of your first feature film that's being backed by Weinstien money and that is going to be sent to Sundance, or, more likely, Slamdance. And all you need to do is tell me where and when. Anyways, Good Luck with school stuffs... it sounds like you've found that place you've been looking for.

    -Jon

    By Blogger jon jon, at Fri Aug 27, 11:05:00 PM EDT  

  • Congratulations. It sounds like everything is going great. Just thought I would share some more joy and let you know I quit Babbages. Sooo if you see any extra niches around please let me know.

    Crank up the Ballad of JoeBo Baggins
    I'M GONNA ROCK YOUR FACE!!!!!

    John, King of the Bling Bling

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Aug 28, 12:51:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home