If You Build It, They Will Come.

Sunday, September 04, 2005

My Super Sweet 16.

I don't have a whole lot of cable options here. I do however get MTV. As I'm flipping through today, I come across "My Super Sweet 16." The episode I watched featured a young girl who wanted a Moulin Rouge themed party, complete with preparty, 100 invitations for "1000 people who really want to go," a fully choreographed can-can dance entrance, a Hummer limo, a $10,000 personal stylist, and a "beautiful" dress. Her mom served her breakfast in bed, she then called her mom on her cell phone to come get the tray when she was done, made her mom take her to Dunkin Donuts, her grandmother bought her a brand new Audi, and as she sat in the back of her mom's car on the way to Dunkin Donuts, she claimed that today the world revolved around her. I can't count how many times she told her mom to shut up, or called her a bitch, or treated her like she was trash. Then when she was handing out invitations, she totally flipped out and dressed down this girl who was holding an invitation, but was not given one. She kept telling her "friends" that it was such a power trip handing out invitations, because EVERYONE wanted to go to her party.

Sadly this story does not have a happy ending. The party actually went off really well. I kept hoping that no one showed up, or that the building caught fire, or that someone dumped pigs blood on her like on Carrie. Okay, maybe that's a little too far.

Her closing thought. "I get whatever I want."

I remember when I turned 16. I got a 88 Grand Am, and considered myself very very lucky. But really, I wanted a Moulin Rouge party.

I can't wait until her sweet 18 party... when she gets booted out of the million dollar mansion, and lives in a one bedroom apartment and has no friends.

That probably won't happen, but hey, we can dream can't we?

Now, I wonder what wonderful spam comments will I recieve? Time will tell.

-j

3 Comments:

  • No sneaky, tricksy spammers...just me. I saw that episode on a sleepless night of channel flipping. On my Sweet Sixteen, I got a surprise party with about 10 or 12 friends. And I got to go to school that day, eating a granola bar on the way to catch the bus. And I got to go to a track meet prior to my surprise party. I thought I had a great day, where, oh where, were the Moulin Rouge parties when I was younger? -boo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Sep 05, 01:23:00 AM EDT  

  • The speakers on the left side of my grand am were blown and sounded like extremely loud static, so I had to play all my music from the tape deck out of the right side of my car. The car could always be started without the keys, you'd just twist the ignition. You could even take the keys out while driving, and it wouldn't make a difference. Then the cloth on the ceiling started to fall in and stretch, so when you drove it, the ceiling was lying and draping down over your head. Then the car died at a truck stop three hours from Kalamazoo and three hours from Mansfield in the middle of Indiana, and I had to pay $200 to have it towed up to campus where it sat and never ran again. I ended up donating it.

    But it was a great car. I still felt lucky to get it. It was no brand new white Audi, and I didn't drive it to my Moulin Rouge party, but it was still great.

    By Blogger Joseph, at Tue Sep 06, 03:20:00 PM EDT  

  • I was in that backseat.

    Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more!

    By Blogger Joseph, at Thu Sep 08, 05:40:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home