If You Build It, They Will Come.

Tuesday, June 18, 2002

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."
-Albert Einstein

There's a certain uncomfortable feeling that comes to those who teach us the intellegence of Einstein in school. In fact, the previous quote was probably never told to you by a teacher, though it is a very famous thing he said. Albert Einstein hated school. The man worked as a patent clerk after failing algebra in high school. Did he fail algebra because he didn't get it? No. He failed algebra because he didn't care. Did it ever haunt him again? Did anyone say, "You know Al, this theory of relativity is interesting, but it says here you failed algebra in high school. I'm afraid Princeton doesn't want you." No.

The fact that they don't tell you this in school is the difference between telling the truth and the whole truth.

Am I out here shouting out conspiracy theories? No. I just find it ironic that the fact they don't tell you this in school, proves that it is an acurate statement. There's a difference between what you learn and what you know. I can learn the names of all fifty states. That will never help me in life. Never. But the person you are when you come out of school, that is an educated person. A person who knows about life to that point. Everyone puts such a stress on the crap you learn in school. It's mostly useless. Completely useless. And I don't know if this is the way it's always been, but this is the way it is. No one goes to school to learn. No one gets out of a spanish class and says, "Hey I know how to speak spanish now." They say, "Thank god, I never have to speak spanish again." We learn it to pass the test, then try like hell to forget it all. I took German for four years. I couldn't speak a word of it now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home