If You Build It, They Will Come.

Thursday, March 25, 2004

Am I weird? I think I'm unique. I think yesterday I realized that my difference of opinion with the majority of the world isn't a flaw, which is kind of nice.

Yesterday, Brent was watching Pardon the Interrupton on ESPN. If you haven't seen it, it's a show where they come up with topics, and then give two sports writers one minute to yell incoherrently at each other. At any rate, yesterday they came up with a board listing sports events, and ranked the top five best. Here were the contenders.

The World Series (Major League Baseball)
The Super Bowl (Pro Football)
The BCS Title game (College Football)
The NCAA Tourney (College Basketball)
The Daytona 500 (NASCAR)
The Masters (Golf)
The Olympics
The World Cup (Soccer)

Now... does anybody notice anything missing? The first World Series was in 1903. The first Super Bowl was in 1967. The first BCS title game was actually in 1998. The first NCAA Tourney was 1957. Daytona's first race was in 1959. The first World Cup Tourney was 1966. The first Masters was in 1934. The Olympics are very very old. But there's another championship that's been around longer than all of them with the exception of the Olympics that didn't even get a stupid little card to put on the board. The Stanley Cup. First awarded in 1892. What I think is even odder is that the playoffs start in two weeks, and they didn't even mention it.

So here's my board.
The Stanley Cup
The Superbowl
The BCS Title Game
The Olympics
The World Cup

The World Series doesn't even deserve it's own little card. The only reason I watched at all last year was to see the Red Sox and the Cubs. Once they were out, who cares.

Daytona? Cars turning left for three hours? Nuff said.

The Masters. It would be sixth on my list. I just can't watch golf for an extended period of time, but at least it isn't baseball.

People go nuts about the NCAA tourney. March Madness. I don't like basketball. Mainly because of the classlessness of some of it's primadonna players. Not just in the NCAA, in fact, much less in the NCAA as the NBA (which the NBA Playoffs didn't get mentioned either). Also because it's kind of boring, and if it's close and exciting at the end, everyone ruins it by fouling each other and calling time out.

I feel like I've ranted about this before. Oh well. I'm gonna get some breakfast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home