If You Build It, They Will Come.

Friday, May 20, 2005

***SPOILERS***

Holy crap you guys, Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader!!!

You know people have been lined up for Revenge of the Sith for months. Today, I drove down to the Mann theater in Glendale, purchased a ticket at 6:20pm for a showing at 6:30pm. I guess it's the entire experience.

So yeah, I'm one of those nerdy people who saw Star Wars 3 on opening day. Although, it was really out of boredom that I even tried to go see it. That and I'd heard very good things about it, and was really anxious to see it. That havingbeen said, I now have something to get off my chest.

Dear Mr. Lucas,
I respectfully apologize for every bad thing I've ever said about you and the Star Wars prequels. While The Phantom Menace was kind of lame, it does appear to be a good starting point for the six movies. I actually liked Attack of the Clones, and in my opinion, Revenge of the Sith is phenomenal. I take back all the mean things I said. However, I do still believe that the "romance" dialogue could've used some help.
Thanks,
Joseph

Dear Jonathon Charles Choko Nopa Filan Kameya,
Across the street from the Olde Penninsula, there used to be a parking structure. On that parking structure, so many years ago, I was right, and you were in fact, wrong. Darth Vader is revealed to be Anakin Skywalker, and while, yes, it may rob that "surprise" in The Empire Strikes Back for people who watch the films in order for the first time, I've realized that another moment is actually given to them that we never had. Because, yes, while it was tragic to see, the death of Obi-Wan Kenobi in A New Hope, now seems SO much more powerful, as this character has been around for three and a half movies, as opposed to just half the film you're watching. The relationship between Vader and Kenobi is more concrete and detailed, and that last showdown on the Death Star, while not as quick and acrobatic as their fight in Revenge of the Sith, is so much more anticipated and powerful. And if your kids can't handle the change in special effects from episodes III to IV, just let them know that the two movies were made nearly thirty years apart. If they can't forgive and simply accept that as an explanation, then you are raising the comic book nerds who complain that Hugh Jackman was too tall to play Wolverine in the X-Men movie, and Uncle Joe may have to lay the hurt down.
Smooches,
Joe

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home