If You Build It, They Will Come.

Saturday, February 02, 2002

I just recently realized what the song "Goodnight Elisabeth" by Counting Crows was about. Originally I thought it sounded like it could be a happyish love song. Instead after listening to it in a different state of mind, I finally got it. My friend Laura told me one time that she didn't think it was happy at all, and I didn't agree with her. Now it finally all clicked and the song is really depressing as hell.

At first I pictured it as a lulliby to a girl that Adam was in love with, and I think it is still. Now I realize that it's about someone he's in love with that he can never be with. There were lines in it that I never got, thinking that they were together, that now make a lot of sense. "Maybe I should say my prayers. I'll just light myself on fire and walk out on the wire once again." is about him trying to fall in love again after being hurt in the past. "I'll wait for you in Baton Rouge, I'll miss you down in New Orleans, I'll wait for you while she slips in something comfortable, I'll miss you while I'm slipping in between." means even while he's away, and sleeping with other women, he's still thinking about her, he's still wanting to be with her instead. "If you wrap yourself in daffodils, I'll wrap myself in pain." means while she moves on and is happy, he's still dwelling on it, and moping, and can't get over it.

I found an interview with Adam Duritz about the song and found out he originally titled it "Goodbye Elisabeth." but then wanted it to play more like a lulliby.

All the lyrics for the song are on my music page.

I read about the song "Mercury" on the same site while I was there, and now, I really like that song. Strange. As I typed the word "now" in the previous sentence, the song "Mercury" came on on my MP3 player.

I think it's funny how you can hear a song a thousand times, then one day find out what it's really about and suddenly the song is completely different. LIke "3am" by Matchbox Twenty is wriiten for Rob Thomas's mother and how she got cancer when he was ten. If you didn't know that, listen to the song again with that in mind. It changes all of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home