If You Build It, They Will Come.

Friday, March 26, 2004

So, I got a new job. I'm working at a gas station. 3rd shift. I start monday. At least it's something to do.

Lola, thanks for all the updates. Yes, I'll be at the bachelor party, I doubt I'm invited to the bachelorette one.

I saw "Jersey Girl" today. I really liked it. It's a bit of a departure from the normal Kevin Smith movie, (ie no Jay or Silent Bob, no stoner jokes...) It's a lot like Chasing Amy, but without the lesbianism. The girl, Raquel Castro, was pretty good.

Then as I was leaving, I saw Sam. Sam is a guy I knew in high school. He had a band that was, how to describe it... ok, remember how "Can't Hardly Wait" was about the class of 98, and we could all name the people who fit the stereotypical characters in the film? Well, Sam's band, Circle, was Loveburger... except uglier. Anyway, he comes up to me after the movie and starts talking about how he went to California and lived in Orange County, but couldn't stand how fake and conservative it was, so he came back to the middle of Ohio. Then he told me about how he's recording a solo album in Virginia. Apparently his bandmates all were tired of not making it, and went on to other bands that were "going somewhere." Then he rattled off all the "underground" bands he knew that I didn't to try to describe his music. When I didn't know any of them, I'm sure it brought warm feelings to his heart. I let him have his little moment.

Then I came home and read a letter to collegehumor.com, and it was highly ironic.

Dear Joe College,

I have a problem with people in my dorm and their taste in music, I am open to all types of music but they aren't. They are convinced that any music that isn't underground is terribly bad and talentless, Or they only liked that famous band BEFORE they were famous, and now that they are famous they must suck ass. One night there were two kids that shot underground band names back and forth trying to stump each other for an hour straight. "OH, you know whos good? The Jeffery walks and talks while he groove's town project!" "Yeah, man, I've seen them like 4 times, but you know whos better? The Yonder LLama eats grass on the misty hill confessional" And so forth. How can I explain to them they are idiots?

Andy
----------------------------------------------
Dear Andy,

Oh, I love the Yonder Llama. “Suicide Pantyhose” is easily my favorite song. But their first album was way better than their second, because people actually bought their second album, and their first is only available through the Vietnamese Black Market and certain locations of Best Buy.

Sorry, sarcasm hairball.

Now that that is cleared up, there is absolutely no way to explain to these people that they are idiots, though you can take solace in the fact that most people in the world are on your side here. The one suggestion I have is to tape record their idiocy. When they go back on their word in two months, play it for them. But don’t tell the indie kids it’s a recording of them. Say it’s your favorite new underground band, “My floormates are a bunch of poser assbags.”


Anyway, it's time for bed. Night y'all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home